Click here to see all the discussion
|Questions / Discussions
Statistics shows that the problem of teenage pregnancy is growing rapidly in the developed nations. According to an estimate more than one million teen pregnancies are there in the United States alone. Pregnant teenagers have to face many problems both socially and physically. The biggest risk for teen mothers is delaying parental care or received no care at all. The teenage parents are often not prepared for parenthood and drop out of school, taking low-paying jobs and never completing their education, they find themselves stressed emotionally, economically and socially.
Causes of teen pregnancy:
There can be so many reasons for this problem such as:
- adolescents sexual behavior
- Sexual abuse
- Socioeconomic factor
- Childhood environment
Outcomes of teen pregnancy:
Because the body of a teenage girl is still growing, she needs more nutritional support to meet both her needs and that of her baby. Lack of proper nutrition can lead to problems like anemia, low weight gain, etc. Complications of pregnancy can be result in the deaths, teenage mothers and their babies are also at a very high risk of HIV. WHO estimates that the risk of death having pregnancy is twice for teenage girl than for those girls’ ages of 20 and 24. In developing nations where medical services might be unavailable, it can lead to infant mortality, eclampsia, obstetric fistula or maternal death.
Parenting tips to prevent teen pregnancy:
Parents should building close, strong, open relationships with their children. Some tips are:
- Parents should maintain proper communication. They should talk to their children about sex early and often.
- Parents should have the knowledge about where their children are, who he/she is with, and what activities they're planning.
- Parents should discourage their children early, frequent, and steady dating rather encourage group activities.
- Parents should have the knowledge on what kind of magazines are read, what kind of movies are watched by teenagers. Improper messages about sex thrive in today's popular media.
What to do if the teen is pregnant:
There are so many treatment and health care centers which provide several services such as:
- parents must have the information on adoption and abortion
- Prenatal care
- Alternatives for continuing the teen's education
- Counseling for teen mothers and their family members Infant care classes
Adoption as an Option for Pregnant Teens:
Three are so many centers for the adoption treatment who provide the service of adoption even they provide the services of medical care, counseling, and housing or help with living expenses. Teenage mother usually is allowed to select the family that will adopt her child. She often is allowed to meet the adopting family if she wants.